Addy Grace

Addy Grace

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Limb Differences Are Not Scary!




My soon to be brother in law did an amazing thing for me the day Addy was born. While I was in the midst of an emotional hurricane, trying to see the sunshine through the dark clouds and torrential downpours, he was scouring the internet for information, support groups, blogs, anything that would help us learn more about our beautifully different baby girl (thanks again Dan!). He sent a lengthy email to my mom, telling her to share the info with me when the time was right. I'm sure he didn't realize it at the time, but what he did for me that day was life changing. It wasn't just information he was giving me, he was introducing me to people that would help me, change me, and become life long friends of our family.

One of the pioneers of the online limb different community is Jen Lee Reeves of Born Just Right. Her  daughter, Jordan, is a celebrity to families around the world, and recognized by the thousands of followers of the BJR blog. I got the opportunity to meet Jen in person, and we are still looking forward to meeting Miss Jordan. Every year, Jen and Jordan raise funds to give people a chance to attend Camp No Limits, a limb difference camp that allows kids of all ages and their families to attend a four day camp. Campers are given a chance to try activities out of their comfort zone, learn life skills, and exercises to keep them strong. They work together with mentors and counselors, and are given a safe environment to explore and discuss what having a limb difference means to them and how it affects their lives. It's an amazing camp, one that I cannot wait to attend with Addy as soon as she is old enough!



With Halloween around the corner, this month is an awesome opportunity to prove how limb differences aren't scary. A limb difference does not make anyone a monster. (Unless they choose to be one!) There's a special lesson kids learn in the limb difference world when they spend time together at Camp No Limits. Campers learn that being different teaches you how everyone is different, that we all have our own challenges and that there are many ways to overcome those challenges. 

Born Just Right has raised more than $10,000 over the years to send kids and family members to Camp No Limits, and I am asking you to help us continue to raise money! It takes $500 for each person to attend camp, so every little bit helps! Jen has put together an amazing collection of raffle items, all it takes is donating $5 to the Camp No Limits Fundraising site which gets you one raffle entry! If you donate more than $25, just add it up and enter the raffle again at another pay level. (For example, if a donor gives $50, they can put their name in under the $25 level twice.) You can view the raffle items here: http://www.bornjustright.com/2014/10/limb-differences-arent-scary-campaign

Thank you so much for helping raise funds for a cause that is near and dear to our hearts. I can't wait to help send some kids to camp, and I can't wait for Addy and I to one day be campers! 












No comments:

Post a Comment