Addy Grace

Addy Grace

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sweet Words & Accepting/Sharing My New Reality

This past week has reminded me that I need to take a more active role in keeping this space updated. If not only for own mental health, than for those seeking comfort in the words of someone who is walking the same path they are. Last week was a perfect reminder of this, a reminder I have desperately needed.

I received two beautiful messages, from two different women, both with worries and concerns for the new men in their lives. I was able to meet up for coffee with one of the new mom’s, and while my children made it hard to even form a sentence, it was wonderful to meet her and share stories. I’ve had these conversations over and over, always re-telling the story of Addy’s arrival and the events following, and everything we’ve done to ensure her success and happiness since then. I’ve given advice about seeking out physical and occupational therapy, about how to deal with the stares and questions from onlookers and naturally curious children, always promoting and singing the praises of The Lucky Fin Project as a sort of sanctuary for new parents seeking a community.  And while I always feel a kinship with other parents of children with limb differences and friendships are born instantaneously, this week was different. This week, I met Amy.

Amy’s message left me teary eyed with my heart exploding. I wanted nothing more than to jump in the car and drive to St. Louis to wrap this new mama in my arms and tell her everything would be okay. Amy is where I was almost two and half years ago, still wrestling with and struggling with her new reality. Neither of us were aware that the child we had been carrying and protecting for nine long months was about to be born missing the lower part of their right arm and hand. It was devastating. It still is. Sometimes, daily.

Amy is the first new mom I’ve spoken with who’s story so closely resembles my own it is eerily comforting. To know that I was not the only one in shock, blaming myself for what happed to Addy, being so completely consumed by devastation that I was unable to truly celebrate her arrival. Just like Emily Perl Kingsley’s poem, we were expecting to get off the plane in Italy, and we landed in Holland. It takes some getting used to, and Holland is beautiful…but it’s not Italy, not by a long shot.
Most days, Addy’s limb difference floats to the back of my mind, not even a blip on the radar. Other days, we have an encounter with someone, or she says something, and I find myself dwelling on things I cannot change, and it hurts. It hurts to the core. I have been an open book when it comes to the struggles I have faced with Addy’s limb difference in the hopes that other parents and families that take this journey know they are not alone, and that their feelings are both understandable and completely normal.  It’s a rollercoaster with highs and lows, and sometimes I fall right off the damn rollercoaster and into a hole of deep depression and can’t seem to climb back out no matter how hard I try. Two weeks ago, I almost fell into that hole again…and I can still feel the muscle strain from trying to claw my way back out.

After dealing with mind numbing pain and some rather interesting gastrointestinal pyrotechnics for close to a month, the day finally came to have my gall bladder removed. It was full of gall stones, and making life pretty miserable…and I wanted it out as soon as humanly possible. My husband and I arrived at the hospital and I donned the ever so flattering open backed hospital gown and super sexy knee high socks, complete with calf cuffs to keep me from getting a blood clot. I was looking good, and feeling ready, and slightly nervous. After everything I went through during Addy’s delivery, I am no longer comfortable in a hospital. I didn’t know that being back in a scratchy hospital gown preparing for surgery would rock me as hard as it did. I kept my composure as best I could, chatting with the nurse about books, and cracking jokes with my husband and amazing best friend who showed up to surprise me and show her support. I spoke with my anesthesiologist, the doctor visited, and it was almost time to go. Everything was fine until the surgical team came in to get me, and I began to crack. I was shaking and having a hard time keeping my breathing even. I took deep breaths, and tried to keep the tears from rolling down my cheeks. At this point, the nurse was unaware of everything I had endured the last time I was in a hospital being wheeled into surgery. My husband looked at me with his knowing eyes, knowing all the things I was feeling, and tried to comfort me as best he could. He kissed me and told me he would be waiting when I got out, and they wheeled me down the hall.

We got into the operating room and moved onto the table. They laid me down, strapped my arms down…just like they did during the c-section. They put the oxygen on me, and told me they were going to give me the medicine to put me to sleep, and I welcomed escaping into oblivion, knowing when I woke up, it would all be over and I would be able to go home soon. Boy was I wrong.
Emergence agitation or delirium is “a known phenomenon in the post anesthesia period”, according to the ‘American Association of Nurse Anesthetists’. Patients experience flashbacks to traumatic events, often placing them back in the moment of witnessing a severe injury or even a death. The underlying cause is not definitely understood, but studies within US Army hospitals suggest that patients who suffer from posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) are at a higher percentage of patients who suffer with emergence agitation or delirium at a rate of almost 20%. I’m explaining all of this because I woke up from surgery gasping for air, having a full blown panic attack. I was thrown back to July 22, 2013…the day Addy was born. I was in it. I was crying, I was hurting, and I was mourning all over again. 

The nurse that was taking care of me couldn’t figure out what was happening, and I was in no condition to communicate with her. Assuming I was in extreme pain, she administered more pain medication, making it even harder for me to figure out what was going on. Once I finally calmed down enough to try and talk to the nurse, I explained. I told her about Addy. I told her I was given a possible diagnosis of PTSD by a therapist this summer. I told her I was so sorry…over and over and over. Looking back, I don’t think I was apologizing to her at all, although I must have been a giant pain in the ass to deal with. I think I was apologizing to Addy, maybe to myself. Maybe out of shame for the feelings I was having. I was embarrassed. I was falling back into that hole that I had worked so hard to stay out of.

I don’t bring up this PTSD diagnosis lightly, and I haven’t mentioned it before on the blog because I honestly didn’t think it was possible. My husband is in the Military; he has seen war zones and unimaginable atrocities that humans inflict on each other. He’s watched his friends come home changed, or not come home at all. So how is it that I am the one facing a PTSD diagnosis? Not possible. Two weeks ago, gasping for air and clutching my nonexistent pregnant belly, reliving my trauma, being in that moment again unable to separate reality from memory…I very quickly realized that PTSD is now part of my new reality, and I am working towards accepting that. This new terrain is something I will learn to navigate. I think finally accepting it is a huge first step, and sharing within this space is a second huge step.

I am an open book. This space has been therapeutic for me, and knowing that my words are being read by new mothers and comforting them through their journey is amazing. I am honored to be looked at as a source of information and comfort within the limb different community. Messages like the ones I received last week are why I started this blog in the first place. Amy’s words have played through my head all week, I needed them more than she knows. I know we will keep in touch, and hopefully plan a trip to laugh, cry, and drink wine together while we share stories of the arrival of our little Holland tour guides. Addy was given to me for a reason, and I believe this is it…to help new mama’s catch their bearings as they begin their journey.


Welcome to Holland friends, it’s not Italy…but it’s absolutely beautiful, and the greatest adventure you’ll ever have.

Could he be any sweeter? Addy is in love already! 


Welcome to Holland, I'll be your tour guide.


No comments:

Post a Comment